Wednesday 2 April 2014

Louise Bourgeois (Scottish National Gallery of Modern Art/ Fruitmarket Gallery, Edinburgh UK)

I went to see Louise Bourgeois's exhibition at the National Gallery the same day I went to see her other exhibition at the Fruitmarket Gallery.
I first went to the National Gallery and I really loved the exhibition, which is actually called " A women without secrets" and I dont' know if it is appropriate, at least to my eye. I think that even if Louise Bourgeois is categorised as a "confessional artist", my feeling was that it was a women with a lot of secrets but she could express them. I don't believe she just gives it away and confess herself, I think that her work is more of a "psychological cure" or "treatment" to her demons. She found a way to let it out, channeling all her fears, joy, questioning, etc into her art to create something honest and true.
I really enjoyed the exhibition I think Louise Bourgeois has a delicate way to express a lot of darkness and I think she really putted a lot of herself in her work and I really admire it, because indeed putting so much of her in her work, it reveals her and bares her to the eye of the world.
The exhibition is really beautiful, her work touched me and inspired me so much. I really related myself to her and her work because I really understand it, in the way that it really made sense to me directly, instead of just being really inscredible work, it really moved me.
I felt how her work was filled with emotion and how gigantic and strong that power was.





The works that really marked me were her spider called "Maman" (see above) in the same room as a poem of hers.
Also her bronze sculptures (see above) were really amazing, because the material always makes things seem more heavy and still than they are, but her sculptures look like they are going to move in a moment, it's really crazy and so beautiful, the way she succeed to make something so delicate with a material that, at least for me, makes things seem like they stopped moving and will never move again.

Her fabric sculptures are also really inscredible because they are flowing, like they are sitting exactly how they would want to sit in the space given. They give that strange sensation of comfort but also discomfort because they are very odd-looking and arose curiosity and sometime makes you really uncomfortable as it might look maybe disgusting or too figurative.



In another exhibition from last year at the Scottish National Gallery of Modern Art, it was called "From Death to Death and other small tales",there was a sculpture of Louise Bourgeois and it made my friend very uncomfortable I rememeber because she said that it looked so real but at the same time you see that it's not real but the texture and the composition disturbs you because of that real/not real "illusion" and in that way it's a bit disgusting.



At the Fruitmarket Gallery, it was only Bourgeois's drawings and paintings, amongst the drawings there was her serie "Insomnia". I felt so mezmerised by them because firstly they reflect the concept so well and also because once again I related myself to her because it is exactly what I do when I can't sleep and I really feel the drawings more because I can feel the stillness of the night and the silence and the repetition drawings makes so much sense really. i don't only visualise the drawing but the whole situation and I am really touched by it.
In the room upstairs here was really big paintings/drawings and quotes she wrote next to the drawing or as a composition.
It was almost scary when I realised that I almost wrote the same words with almost the smae drawings, I had to go home and see in my sketchbook if I wasn't dreaming... it was so crazy I completely let myself go into her work and I just saw it so clearly it was really incredible.I think that the drawings in the room upstairs were my favorites because you could really stay in front of one of them and stare for a really long time without finding the answer to your question or without finding the detail you were hoping for but it makes you think and analyse and it bring you into her world.






No comments:

Post a Comment